Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Adapting to university life...

Sarah McQueen sits relaxed, in a predominantly pink and orange cluttered room, cheerfully and thoughtfully sharing how she has not only remarkably learnt to adapt to her first year at Rhodes University but has also surprised herself by personally achieving in many different ways. From her academic achievements to discovering more about her true self, Sarah has experienced both terribly low and wonderfully high moments during the year.

Throughout Sarah’s high school career she remained self contained and private to her peers, “I didn’t open myself up to anyone.” Finding it difficult to make friends easily, her biggest fear was that at University she would be in the same situation except in a different place. Coming to Rhodes was a watershed in Sarah’s life. She made a solid commitment to herself, “I came to give it my all and to do my best to interact with my new environment. If people at Rhodes did not like me it would be their issue and not mine.” She says confidently while pushing back her beautifully long curly hair.

At the beginning of the year Sarah found herself allocated to Allan Gray Residence. Saying with a smile, “I was very lucky when I came to Rhodes; the first years at my res were the type of people I could feel comfortable with.”Allan Gray was the best accidental choice Sarah could ever have made. “When I applied, I simply choose one of the first two girl res’s on the list, one was Allan Gray and the other was Orial.” She says with a shrug of her shoulder. This coincidence allowed Sarah to make wonderful friends and enjoy the exciting community life of residence. This has not only taken Sarah by surprise but has also surprised her family. She has never before had solid friends as she does now. Before she knew only acquaintances, now she has true and lasting friends.
Sarah has smiled and laughed so hard she has even cried. “I loved the surprise birthday party my friends threw for me”, she says with a huge smile on her face. “I had no clue what was happening, not having had friends who would have done this before, made it all the more special.” However, Sarah has also come across tough moments which have built her in character. During the Trivarsity weekend, Sarah experienced her lowest moment. “I was terribly sick, homesick and stressed!” Being depressed caused her to sleep away most of the weekend. Being surrounded by true friends and the resident environment soon stopped Sarah from wallowing in her own sad little world. With a light in her eye she says, “It is hard, in a good way, to stay excluded at residence.” This was an amazing experience, as had she been at home, she would have remained in her sad world for many days.
The year has not only been driven by new found friends but also by academics. “I have fully applied myself to my subjects as I chose them for myself, unlike at high school where we were limited for choice.” This has given Sarah the incentive to work harder than ever before and push herself to excel in the first semester exams. Having worked hard, Sarah believes she received the marks she deserved and having come second in her Law class, she now truly believes and with determination says, “Working hard gets results! Once I’m motivated I can do anything!” Sarah has not only made herself proud but has also made her family proud. “The fact that I have achieved has helped put my family at peace with the idea of me being away from home.”

The difficulties Sarah has faced throughout her first year at Rhodes has lead her to discover her true self. She is a confident, intelligent, friendly, independent and warm natured young lady who loves life and always gives of her best. She has the remarkable ability to open up to people she has never meet before and is now her own beautiful self, independent of her loving family. One of Sarah’s favourite quotes by ‘Fall out boy’ emphasises how she is not only a survivor of first year University but is also an inspiration to all those who afraid of adapting to the new and intimidating environment of University. “The best way to make it through with heart and wrists intact is to realise that 2 out of 3's not bad.”

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com flower brushes by gvalkyrie.deviantart.com