Thursday, October 23, 2008

Not all first years are treated with disrespect...

To a certain extent I do understand your argument about first year Rhodes students being disrespected by those higher than them, but at the same time I believe that you are making a huge generalisation. When I arrived at Rhodes, at the beginning of the year, I immediately felt welcomed by the older students as well as the lecturers and tutors. The older students in my residence soon became my friends along with my new found first year friends and they never made me feel inferior. Owing to the older students, my friends and I were soon able to call Rhodes a second home, as they constantly showed us around and introduced us to new people. Theses friendships are still strong. As for my tutors and lecturers, I still find them extremely approachable and willing to help me whenever I need it. I have never felt intimidated or looked down upon by them. I do however understand that I may just be lucky to have had such pleasant experiences with those higher than me. I do agree that not all students have had the same experiences as I have, but I certainly won’t carry on this vicious cycle of treating first years with disrespect.

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com flower brushes by gvalkyrie.deviantart.com